Remember when I said it was time to rebuild and focus on strength and not race for a while? Yeah, I knew I wouldn’t last that long. Because I just signed up for my next race: The NYRR Oakley New York Mini 10K in June!
I’m so pumped – this will be my first time racing this distance (which means an automatic PR!) and it’s the same loop I ran back in March for the NYC Half Marathon: a full circle of the gorgeous Central Park. Once I started doing some research on what upcoming race to run, this was a no-brainer:
- It’s the perfect mid-distance level to keep me training – I nail 5K’s every other day for maintenance, and while a 10K will take some extra work, it’s still not as taxing (distance-wise) on my body as a half would be.
- It’s a majorly hilly course compared to what I’m used to, which gives me the opportunity to add some challenging hill work into my training. Hello, leg-building!
- I get a medal. I’m pretty sure I will only run races for medals anymore, because… medals.
- It’s a women-only race, which is always fun.
- It’s a chance to race through Central Park on a Saturday in the middle of June with a bunch of like-minded ladies, how could I NOT do this one?
So now that I’m all registered, who else will I see there? Any of you planning on running this one, or any other NYRR races this summer? Now that I’m officially a member, that 9+1 box in the corner of my account page is enticing me to add more registrations to my name to secure that NYCM2016 spot, I have to say!